Life advice: When you’re making sauce, make enough for the next 4 or 5 or 6 times you’re making pasta.
This is just a base for a vodka sauce. You can add vegan sausage, veggies, roasted garlic, more basil, whatever you want.
Always salt to taste. Make sure you continually taste the sauce throughout the whole process.
Great with penne, or any pasta. As well as on meatball subs and pizza.
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup vodka, I used Tito's.
- 2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. organic cane sugar or date syrup
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 5 large basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1Blend cashews and water on high in blender until smooth, about 1 minute making cashew cream. Put to the side.
- 2In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pan heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 3 Then place yellow onions in and sauté until lightly golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add garlic then stir. Cook for 2 minutes on low.
- 5Add vodka and a pinch of salt and let cook for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- 6Add tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes, basil, parsley, cashew cream, and salt. Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- 7Add ground black pepper then serve as much as you need then freeze the rest in an airtight container.